You probably hear people talk about upgrading the top end speed of their motorized bicycles all the time. While a good top speed is definitely awesome, improving your motorized bike’s low end torque is also quite beneficial in a lot of ways.
When you hear “low end torque,” it can sometimes be confusing to understand what it is, how it works, and exactly why it’s important. As it turns out, increasing your 2-stroke motorized bicycle’s torque can be a great way to improve your riding experience.
A good low end torque will allow you to carry heavier loads, take on steeper inclines with ease, and improve your motorized bike’s overall performance.
Table of Contents
- What Is Low End Torque?
- Why Increase Your Motorized Bike’s Torque?
- How to Improve Your Motorized Bike’s Torque
- Best Motorized Bike Parts for Increased Torque
- Better Torque Equals Improved Motorized Bike Power and Acceleration
What Is Low End Torque?To understand how you can increase your 2-stroke motorized bike’s low end torque and why you may want to, you first have to understand what low end torque is.
- Torque Defined — Torque is essentially an engine’s rotational force. It refers to how much power your 2-stroke engine needs to reach a certain speed, or the amount of work your engine is able to exert. In general, torque measures the amount of force required to twist an object.
- Motorized Bike Torque Meaning — For a motorized bike, torque measures the force required for the rotation of your engine. So the amount of torque in your engine has to do with how much force it can produce at the crankshaft.
- Torque vs. Horsepower — Torque is often mixed up with horsepower. The difference is that, like we said, torque refers to the amount of work your engine can exert, while horsepower has to do with how quickly it happens.
- Acceleration vs. Speed — While torque doesn’t technically measure how fast a 2-stroke engine can move, it does play a role in how quickly your motorized bike can accelerate.
Why Increase Your Motorized Bike’s Torque?Increasing your low end torque will give you better acceleration at lower RPMs. This is beneficial for a number of reasons.
- Less Strain on Your Engine — Improved acceleration will prevent you from straining your 2-stroke engine too much in order to get the power you want. You won’t have to ride at higher speeds or RPMs in order to reach your bike’s peak. You also won’t have to shift gears as often, providing an easier, more relaxed riding experience.
- Better Fuel Efficiency — Because your 2-stroke engine is working less to achieve acceleration, you won’t have to rev your motorized bike or go full throttle much, if at all. This means better fuel efficiency and gas mileage.
- Climbing Steep Hills — Higher torque is especially helpful when you need an extra boost to get up a steep incline or maneuver hilly terrains. Your engine will have more power to accelerate quickly and get your bike going up and over easily.
- Off-Roading — Whether you’re having fun in a dirt bike pit or tearing through tricky off-road terrain, an upgrade in torque will make your motorized bicycle better suited to get you through any obstacles with ease.
- Carrying Heavy Loads — If you frequently carry a lot of cargo with you while riding, you’re going to want increased torque. More torque means an easier time carrying cargo and pulling trailers on the back of your motorized bicycle.
- Increased Throttle Response — Better low end torque also makes your bike more responsive to throttle, so you’ll reach that peak performance more easily.
How to Improve Your Motorized Bike’s TorqueThere are a couple things you can do in order to increase your motorized bike’s low end torque.
- Swap Out Your Sprockets — One option for increasing torque is to gear down by installing either a smaller front sprocket with less teeth or a larger rear sprocket with more teeth.
- Install High-Performance Components — It would also be helpful to upgrade your exhaust and intake systems with a reed valve, muffler, header, or manifold. The cleaner the air running through your 2-stroke engine’s system, the better.
Best Motorized Bike Parts for Increased TorqueNow that you know all about low end torque and its benefits, here are a few of the best parts you can install onto your motorized bicycle to increase its torque and overall performance.
BBR Tuning Dual Ended Torquer Up Exhaust Pipe Muffler — Improved Exhaust Flow
The right exhaust system will provide more torque for your engine. So as its name suggests, the BBR Tuning Dual Ended Torquer Up Exhaust Pipe Muffler is all about increasing your motorized bike’s torque specs.
This exhaust system has an elongated pipe and an expansion chamber to improve exhaust flow and help circulate excess exhaust back to the cylinder. This gives your motorized bike engine a major boost in torque.
As an added bonus, the dual silencer design adds extra engine power by allowing a 25 percent increase in exhaust outflow — all while keeping the noise levels to a minimum. This means more power and less noise.
The thick aluminum this exhaust is made with is durable, too, so it’s a part that’s sure to last. To top it off, installation is easy as ever with the adjustable flange, which also makes this muffler versatile and compatible with a wide range of motorized bikes.
- 25 percent increase in exhaust outflow
- Increased exhaust flow and circulation creates a boost in torque
- Highly durable
- Compatible with most 66/80cc engines
- Simple plug-and-play installation
Our Price: $75.99 | Click Here to Buy This 2-Stroke Performance Part
54 Tooth Sprocket — Climb Hills with Ease
One way to increase your 2-stroke motorized bike’s torque is to gear down, as doing so changes your gear ratio and decreases speed at your rear wheel. You can do this by using a smaller front sprocket or a large rear sprocket like a 54 Tooth Sprocket.
A larger rear sprocket with more teeth will give your motorized bicycle improved performance and increased acceleration. This will really help to give you that boost your motorized bike needs when it comes to large hills and steep inclines.
So if you commute through areas with a lot of steep hills, or you enjoy off-roading on hilly terrain, a larger rear motorized bicycle sprocket will alleviate any difficulties climbing those inclines.
- Better low end torque than smaller sprockets
- Compatible with most motorized bikes
- Easy installation
Our Price: $29.95 | Click Here to Buy This 2-Stroke Performance Part
BBR Tuning Reed Valve Kit - 40MM — For a Smoother Ride
An upgrade like the BBR Tuning Reed Valve Kit will get your carburetor performing at its best. Reed valves work to control the air/fuel mixture that enters your cylinder by opening and closing on the engine’s vacuum, preventing engine blowback to the carburetor.
This will not only give you increased bottom end torque, but it will also improve your top end speed a bit and allow for a smoother throttle response, as well. Who says you can’t get the best of both worlds? This reed valve kit is compatible with most 2-stroke engines and is easy to install.
All you have to do is replace your current intake manifold with the reed valve assembly and attach your carburetor to the reed’s intake, and you’re good to go! With this reed valve upgrade you’ll be ready to ride with a top-performing carburetor and killer bottom end torque.
- Smoother throttle response
- Slight bump in top end speed
- Compatible with most motorized bikes
- Easy installation
Our Price: $31.95 | Click Here to Buy This 2-Stroke Performance Part
BBR Tuning CC X-Port Exhaust Assembly — Improve Fuel/Air Ratio
Cleaner air in your 2-stroke engine means increased torque. That’s why the BBR Tuning CC X-Port Exhaust Assembly is another part that’s sure to give your bike the torque boost you’re looking for.
This 2-stroke engine upgrade is installed directly onto your cylinder’s exhaust port, between the muffler. It works to collect your engine’s emissions and burn any unused gases, as well as regulate your engine’s fuel/air ratio.
This exhaust manifold is designed specifically to increase your motorized bike’s low end acceleration and will work to increase your torque on whatever type of exhaust you have.
It also pushes your exhaust further forward in order to allow more clearance on your pedals, improving your bike’s all-around performance. It also gives you a bump in top end speed, which is a nice bonus!
- Regulates fuel/air ratio
- Utilizes gases that would otherwise be unused
- Creates more clearance for pedals
- Adds mind top end speed increase
Our Price: $24.99 | Click Here to Buy This 2-Stroke Performance Part
Better Torque Equals Improved Motorized Bike Power and Acceleration
Though we can’t take away from the value of good top end speed, there are a lot of advantages to upgrading your motorized bike’s low end torque. As such, it’s definitely something to consider when selecting high-performance components for your 2-stroke engine.
Any one of the components listed in this article would make great upgrades to increase your motorized bicycle’s torque. Powerful low end torque can give you better acceleration to help you up steep hills or simply an easier riding experience. Not to mention, some parts even promote better fuel efficiency while simultaneously boosting your motorized bicycle’s torque.
While torque may seem complicated to understand, at the end of the day all you really need to know is that it’s vital to your bike’s power. As such, increasing low end torque can do a lot to improve your bike’s overall performance.