Why Upgrade Your Motorized Bike’s Electrical Components?A 2-stroke engine’s electrical components are built to last. Unfortunately, they can grow weak over time. Furthermore, depending on your riding needs, you may want a stronger spark to get your engine started faster and without much trouble. There are various reasons why you should upgrade your 2-stroke engine with high-performance electrical parts:
- Durability — On average, electrical upgrades are longer-lasting than stock components. These motorized bicycle upgrades tend to be made from more durable materials (such as thicker coiling) and are usually built with competitive performance in mind.
- Racing and Off-Roading — If you join a motorized bike racing club or like hitting off-road trails on the weekend, you’re going to want a strong, consistent spark. You’ll also notice a boost in power, which will increase your 2-stroke engine’s performance.
Stronger Spark and Current for Commuting — Generally speaking, these 2-stroke engine upgrades are suitable both for avid racers and everyday commuters. So if you just want a good, solid spark for daily riding, you should consider a high-performance magneto, CDI, and spark plug.
- Note: The laws pertaining to motorized bicycles vary from region to region. As such, it’s a good idea to read up on your local motorized bicycle laws to ensure that you are investing in compliant 2-stroke engine upgrades.
2-Stroke Engine Electrical PartsA 2-stroke engine uses three main components to obtain the spark that will power it on: a magneto, CDI, and spark plug. There’s a bit of science to it, but the functions of these parts can be broken down quite simply:
- The magneto, or magneto loop set, surrounds the magneto magnet, which revolves to create a magnetic force.
- The magneto then captures this magnetic force and sends it to the capacitor discharge ignition (CDI, or CDI electron ignition coil).
- The CDI is connected to both the magneto and the spark plug. As such, it transfers the magnetic force energy from the magneto to the spark plug.
- The spark plug uses this transfer of energy to create a spark, which in turn creates the combustion necessary to get the engine’s piston and crank moving.
- An upgraded magneto, CDI, and spark plug create a more powerful spark for ignition, which leads to a smoother, faster ride. Moreover, a consistent spark means your engine will work less — as such, your engine will last longer than it would with a weaker spark, which would force it to work much harder.
- These motorized bicycle upgrades promote fuel efficiency. When your engine's starting and running more consistently, your engine won't have to work so hard. That means it will consume less fuel and still go farther.
- Electrical upgrades are easy to install on your 2-stroke engine. Unlike heads that need to be torqued to certain specs or carburetors that need to be tuned, upgrading electrical components can be done without dismantling or tuning your entire motorized bike.