Our annual list of the best electric bikes under $2000 is about two things: finding a good deal and a quality ebike. So if you find yourself here, you're probably asking, "what's the best ebike that won't cost me an arm and a leg?"
The answer: it depends. It's important to look at an electric bike's quality, performance, safety features, and accessories to figure out the right cost-saving ebike for your needs.
And that's exactly what we did. By combining customer reviews, build quality, range, top speed, and features, we found the 10 best electric bikes under $2000. We made sure to include a wide range of prices and types of ebikes to suit any wallet, so check out your options below:
1. Editors Pick
$1,099.95 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (11 Reviews)
GigaByke 500W Swift Electric Bike
If you're looking for an electric bike with a blend of power, range, portability, and value, this is it.
Its 500w motor can reach up to 20 MPH assisted, and a range of over 30 miles per charge. The 5 level assistance system can be controlled by the LCD display for as much assistance as you need. And with a sleek, lightweight aluminum frame, hydraulic disc brakes, and heavy duty tires, this bike is perfect for city cruising and off-road use.
Whether you want to push your rides farther or zip around town sweat-free, this ebike can do it all.
✔ Top Speed: 20 MPH
✔ Range: 30+ Miles
✔ Belt driven drivetrain offers smoother ride than chains
✔ Lightweight, road bike design
✔ Load Capacity: 275 lbs.
2. Best Low Cost Electric Bike (Women's)
$819.00 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (7 Reviews)
Nakto 250W Classic City Electric Bike
If you're looking for a low cost, casual bike for everyday riding, this electric bike gives you want you want with a classic twist.
The 250w rear direct drive motor offers optimal balance and control over your bike compared to front wheel ebikes. Its 36v 12aH battery and pedal assist give you a range of at least 20 miles, and its classic step-through frame has front and rear pre-mounted racks.
Rounded out with a 6 speed Shimano gearing system and front basket, this bike is perfect at carrying small loads like groceries.
✔ Top Speed: 20 MPH
✔ Range: 18-25 Miles
✔ Rear/front racks, basket, and headlight included
✔ Classic look, modern technology
✔ Load Capacity: 250 lbs.
3. Best Low Cost Electric Bike (Men's)
$699.00 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (7 Reviews)
Nakto 250W Camel Men's Electric Bike
Need a quick, inexpensive way to make your commutes easier? This electric bike has exactly what you need.
Its 250w direct drive motor sits inside of the rear wheel for optimal control over your ride and a range of 18-20 miles. With the on-board pedal assist feature and 6 speed derailleur, you'll get the torque you need to ride up inclines. It even comes with suspension forks to keep you safe on bumpy roads.
So if you're looking for an ebike with everything you need without expensive extra's you don't, this is the bike for you.
✔ Top Speed: 20 MPH
✔ Range: 20-25 Miles
✔ The only bike in its price range with quality suspension forks
✔ Easiest transition from pedal to electric bikes
✔ Load Capacity: 250 lbs
4. Best Fat Tire Electric Bike
$1649.99 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (3 Reviews)
Emojo 500w Pro Electric Mountain Bike
Now if you want to go off-road, this electric bike has components you need to take on dirt and sand like a pro.
The huge 26x4" wheels and tires give maximum grip and command over loose surfaces. Its powerful 48v 500w motor reaches speed of 20 MPH and gets a range of 30 miles per charge. Its also gives you a carry capacity of 330 lbs and plenty of torque on cities streets and park trails.
And with its powerful disc brakes and 7 speed derailleur, you'll have maximum control over your ride. So if you're looking to command the trails and the streets, this is the bike for you.
5. Best Electric Tricycle
$2899.00 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (8 Reviews)
Emojo 500W Caddy Electric Tricycle
When you're looking for an electric tricycle you can take from hauling loads to cruising around town, this bike's made for you.
The front 500w brushless motor reaches speeds over 15 MPH and is capable of a carrying capacity of over 300 LBS. Its 48V 15.6Ah battery gives you even more power, and a range of up to 35 miles. And with mud guards, suspension forks, and 4" wide wheels, this bike can take any surface with ease.
Complete with a backrest saddle, and huge front and rear baskets built right onto the frame, this trike was made for anyone looking for maximum comfort at a minimal cost.
✔ Top Speed: 20 MPH
✔ Range: 35 Miles
✔ Cushy saddle with backrest included for maximum comfort
✔ Heavy duty front and rear baskets included
✔ Load Capacity: 300 lbs
6. Best Folding Electric Bike
$1829.99 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (8 Reviews)
Emojo 750W Lynx Pro Electric Bike
If you're in the market for an electric bike you can literally back up and throw in your trunk, this is the bike for you.
With a stand over height of 25 inches, you can fold the light aluminum frame and carry this bike at your side all day. Once unfolded, the 500w motor will carry you at up to 20 MPH for at least 30 miles per charge with a carrying capacity of 230 LBS.
And with heavy duty, extra wide 20x4" tires, this folding ebike you can hit the beach, the streets, or any trails you can think of in seconds.
✔ Top Speed: 20 MPH
✔ Range: 30 Miles
✔ Compact size of only 39x18x26" (LxWxH) when folded
✔ Extended handlebar and seat tube fit nearly any size rider
✔ Load Capacity: 230 lbs
7. Best Retro Style Electric Bike
$1595.00 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (0 Reviews)
MICHAEL BLAST GREASER
This electric bike pairs old school bikes looks with modern technology to take you on the most epic retro cruise!
With both a 350w and 500w optional rear brushless motor pairs with extra wide 26x3" wheels to give you optimal control over your ride. Meanwhile, its 5 stage pedal assist, 7 speed gearing system, and 48v 13aH battery give you the torque you need to carry 265 lbs with a range of 20-30 miles per charge.
With an extra large saddle for maximum comfort, this electric bike has exactly you need for hours of cruising the boulevard or the downtown drag.
✔ Top Speed: 20 MPH
✔ Range: 20-30 Miles
✔ Cadence sensor makes pedaling easier and helps extend range
✔ Perfect for riders 4ft to 6ft tall
✔ Load Capacity: 265 lbs
8. Best Cruiser Style Electric Bike
$2,199.95 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (2 Reviews)
Emojo Hurricane Pro
If you love beach cruisers but need more power than a single speed can offer, this is the electric bike you're looking for.
It's offered in both a 500W and 750W motor options. Either options has all the torque you need to carry up to 350 lbs. Its 26x4" fat tire wheels grip sand and dirt like pavement, while its suspension forks, large frame, and handlebars give you that wide cruiser feel and control you've come to love.
With 7 speed Shimano gearing, hydraulic disc brakes, suspension forks, you can stay safe and comfortable no matter where your adventures take you!
✔ Top Speed: 28 MPH
✔ Range: 40 Miles
✔ Industry leading 10 year motor warranty
✔ Mud guards, headlight, and rear racks included
✔ Load Capacity: 350 lbs
9. Best Electric Mountain Bike
$1,489.95 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (4 Reviews)
Civi 500W Electric Mountain Bike
When you want to go off road and need a bike that can command the toughest terrain, this is the electric bike you need.
Its 45" wheelbase sits on 26x4" extra wide wheels to give you optimal traction on any surface. The 48v 500w motor provides enough torque can carry 300 lbs and get up to 25 MPH, perfect for steep hills and inclines. And it's rounded with hydraulic disc brakes and MOZO suspension forks to help you take on rocks and uneven surfaces comfortably.
With a peak range of 45 miles, this bike is perfect for riding down long dirt paths and up steep hills.
✔ Top Speed: 25 MPH
✔ Range: 35-50 Miles
✔ Ideal suspension, wheelbase, and features for mountain bike riding
✔ Samsung Lithium-Ion battery included
✔ Load Capacity: 300 lbs
10. Best Ultra Light Electric Bike
$2,199.00 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (2 Reviews)
Besv 250W PSA1 Urban Electric Bicycle
If you're looking for an feather-light electric bike for city cruising, this is the bike made for you.
At a mere 3.5ft. tall, this bike has no problems carrying loads of 265 LBS. The 250w rear hub motor is helped by Smart Mode technology, 3 speed pedal assist, and patented Algorhythm drive system to get you on those extra hilly parts of town. And with its integrated headlight and interface, you have everything you need to ride all day all in one compact package.
With speeds of up to 20 MPH, this ebike's got the power, safety, and size you need to zip through busy city streets.
✔ Top Speed: 20 MPH
✔ Range: 20-45 Miles
✔ Full suspension frame offers superior comfort while riding
✔ Most convenient and lightweight battery in its class
✔ Load Capacity: 265 lbs
What is an Electric Bike?
In its simplest terms, an electric bike (or "ebike") is a bicycle that's been fitted with an electric motor. Seems simple, right? That's because it is.
However, there's more to an electric bike than simply adding a motor to a bicycle. So let's break down this definition and get to the heart of what makes an electric bike:
- An electric bike uses an electric-powered motor to help the entire bicycle move forward. This happens through a hub drive motor built into one of its wheels, or a mid drive motor that's mounted in between the bike's cranks.
- Ebikes have two main functions: to eliminate pedaling by using a motor as the sole propulsion mechanism; or to assist its primary propulsion mechanism (i.e. pedals) by giving off bits of throttle to help the cadence of your cranks.
- Electric bikes include everything an electric bike kit does (motor, throttle, battery, controller, LCD display, etc...), only pre-assembled and with all wiring as hidden as possible.
- Note: Depending on where you live, an electric bicycle may or may not be considered a motorized vehicle. If so, you may be required to obtain special licensing/registration. Make sure to read up on your area's electric bicycle laws for more information.
Why Ride an Electric Bike?
Ebikes can be pricey, so it's only fair to make sure electric bikes are worth all that money. Thankfully, unlike other purchases, an ebike is one of the best investments you'll make. It's great for your physical and mental health, and you'll save money on gas in the process.
But aside from savings and a healthier lifestyle, there are plenty of practical reasons to invest in an electric bike:
- It Makes Commuting Easier: Whether you're commuting to work, school, or just around town, cars and pedal bikes will start to take its toll. When you're carrying weight with you, you're in for a harder and sweatier ride. With an electric bike you have the choice to pedal or throttle as you see fit, helping ease the stress and strain of commuting.
- Ride on More Surfaces: Terrain like snow and mud can be too hard to pedal through. And if you've ever ridden off-road on your bike, you know how tiring it can be. With the right ebike you'll be able to motor up and down terrain you never thought possible. This gives you more opportunities to explore further than a regular bike ever could.
- Enjoy Riding Your Bike Longer: Most people don't want to ride their bikes because of the physical toll it takes on them. But thankfully electric bikes alleviate that toll so riders don't burn themselves out enjoying their ride. No matter the conditions, electric bike riders can go further and worry less.
Even better, every bike on this list is made with value and quality in mind. The bikes on our list will not only save you money at the gas pump, they'll save you tons over more expensive brands ebikes with virtually identical features.
Electric Bike Sizes
When riders ask what the best size ebike is for them, our first response is, "Do you mean the size of the motor or the size of the bike?"
This is where people get stumped. That's why we're taking a minute to go over sizing to find the comfort and power level best for you:
Power (Size) of an Ebike
The size of an electric bike's motor and battery are vital to how it operates. How many watts, volts, and amps a given bike has will tell you if it's capable of hauling loads or if it's best suited for light assistance. So let's break down those technical terms to get a better understanding of how they help determine the best size for you:
- Wattage- This is the overall output of power coming from the motor. The higher the wattage, the more speed and torque you'll get.
- Voltage- This is the power it takes to get your motor moving. The more speed and/or torque you need, the higher the voltage will be.
- Amperage- This is the amount of energy you can draw from via the battery. The longer or harder rides are, the more amps (i.e. energy) a battery should have.
Electric Bike Frame & Wheel Size
Once you determine how much power you want, it's time to find the electric bike that fits you. This takes a two pronged approach: we need to focus on the wheel, then figure out the right frame size. Different sizes offer their own comfort and control, so let's figure out which one is best for you:
Wheel sizes on most ebikes are either 20" or 26" wheels:
- 20" wheel ebikes are found on most folding ebikes and mini bikes, and offer you the most control over an ebike.
- 26" wheel ebikes are found on most beach cruiser road electric bikes, electric mountain bikes, and electric trikes. They offer the most traction and comfort on an electric bike.
Once you find the wheel size that suits your comfort and control level, it's time to find the right frame. Frames are measured by the length of their seat tube, so let's take a look at the best sizes for various heights:
- 13" – 14" frames are Extra Small and fit 4' 10" – 5' 2" riders
- 15" – 16" frames are Small and made for 5' 2" – 5' 6" riders
- 17" – 18" frames are Average/Medium height and fit 5' 6" – 5′ 10" riders
- 19" – 20" frames are Large and fit best for riders 5' 10" – 6' 1" tall
Types of Electric Bikes
You've probably noticed from our list that there are lots of types of electric bikes out there. They all have their advantages and challenges, so let's take a look into the most popular types of ebikes to get an idea of the best one for your needs:
Road eBikes & Cruisers
These are the most popular and familiar ebikes for regular riders. That makes them perfect for riders looking for a sup'ed up, electrified version of their favorite bicycle.
✓ Made for maximum speed, assistance, and range.
✓ Full sized bikes that riders 5ft-6ft tall can easily transition to.
X 26" and 700c wheels make them difficult for shorter riders.
Electric Mountain Bikes
These are perfect for mountain bike riders and even hunters who want to explore more territory.
✓ Made with lots of torque, range, and optimal power displacement.
✓ Handle a wide range of surfaces, including dirt, mud, and snow.
X The heaviest type of electric bike, which can be hard to control.
Folding Electric Bikes
These electric bikes are made for convenience. They're light weight and compact, yet strong enough to be ridden by full sized adults. That's what makes these idea for city commuting.
✓ Portable and light enough to fit in most cars take into any building.
✓ Most compatible riding size for all size riders.
X Trickier to maintain than large bikes, especially folding frames.
3-Wheeled Electric Bikes
E-trikes offer the most command and comfort of all ebikes. These are designed to give you maximum toque for carrying loads and pulling forward with little to no assistance.
✓ The most balance, control, and comfort of any electric bike.
✓ High torque motors can pull considerable amounts of weight.
X Sharp turns are almost impossible to pull off.
Another important distinctions between ebikes are their motors: hub drive motors and mid drive motors. And each type of motor has their own advantages and challenges. For example...
- Hub drive electric bikes are capable of reaching high speeds, but front wheel hubs are prone to slipping at high speeds, which can be dangerous.
- Mid drive electric bikes excel in giving you torque and help with climbing, but they're completely dependent on your cranks, which means if your chain snaps you're stuck.
For an in-depth explanation of electric bike motor types, take a look at our video below where we explain the in's and out's of these two types of motors:
Choosing the Best Electric Bike for You
There are a lot of benefits to using an electric bike, but the high cost of most models makes lots of people hesitant about taking the leap.
But fact that most e-bikes are costly doesn’t mean you should give up on upgrading to a cool new ride. There are many affordable electric bike options available that will help you take advantage of all the perks that come from e-bikes without the hefty price tag.
Finding the best, most affordable bike just takes a little bit of knowledge. And with this guide you have the tools to help you figure out if your hard earned cash is being well spent.
All there's left to do is put that info to work and find the best electric bike under $2000 that's perfect for your needs!
What Makes BikeBerry Different?
- We offer the best customer service and support in the game- Getting quality service after your warranty's up (and even before that) is nearly impossible these days. That's why we offer lifetime support with each electric bike we offer. So whether you need help maintaining your ebike, getting parts, or upgrading components, we'll stick with you though each step well beyond your warranty.
- We offer the best selection of value-driven yet high quality ebikes- Most retailers specialize in either high-end, high priced electric bikes or low-priced, cheaply made models. We don't think you should have to sacrifice an arm and a leg for the quality electric bike of your dreams. That's why we ensure that every ebike we offer passes the highest quality and safety standards, regardless of price.
- We work directly with brands for the fastest, most comprehensive coverage- By working directly with your favorite brands, we're able to get warranties processed and shipped in around 3 business days. And we make the warranty process fast and easy. All you have to do is shoot us a text or give us a call, describe the issue, and we'll take it from there.
What do Electric Bike Riders Have to Say?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "Slick City Ride" -Dan Peters
This was a big purchase for me as I deliver food for a living in downtown Chicago. I needed something that would get me around and give me the best bang for my buck. I’ve been researching several electric bikes similar to this one and I decided to go with this based on the price and upgrades like the carbon drive belt. Its range is roughly 35 miles and it fully charges in about 3-4 hours. The bike will comfortably go about 20 MPH and feels solid and safe when on the road. The frame is very durable, and the components like the disc brakes, tires, and LCD are high-quality components. Would highly recommend if you are on a tight budget like me and need to get the most for your money.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "AMAZING TRIKE!!" -Sabrina DeAragon
This trike is VERY well made! It feels so comfortable and most of all sturdy to ride! It's fat tires help to make your ride feel very secure! The seat with a back rest supports your back during the ride, allowing you to ride on longer trips. Hydraulic brakes, front suspension, and large color display are also great features. I would definitely recommend this trike to anyone.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "Amazing Bike and Great Value" -Randy E.
I bought this bike as an upgrade after someone stole my Wildcat. The customer service was amazing and the bike is truly great. I weigh 230 and the bike zips up hills where I live in Palos Verdes. Thanks to Kevin and his expertise and friendly team. We are buying more bikes for my kids and friends as they are the one stop shop for all.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Which is the best type of ebike I can get?
A: In all honesty, there's an electric bike for any type of rider. We wouldn't say that one type is better than other other, but not all ebikes are made for all riders. So if you're having a tough time figuring out which type of is best for your needs, here's some tips we've picked up from our time in the business:
- Electric road bikes and beach cruisers are perfect for both casual riding and commuting around town. These are made to maximize range and speed.
- Electric mountain bikes are made for off-roading and riding on tough terrain. These come in sizes that maximize torque and range.
- Folding ebikes are for those who need to pick up and ride without lugging a heavy bike around. These are maximize convenience and easy use.
- Electric tricycles are made for riders who want some extra balance and comfort on their riders. These maximize stability and torque to ensure proper mobility.
Q: Are electric bikes legal to ride?
A: For the most part, electric bikes under 500w can be ridden anywhere bicycles can be ridden. Stronger ebikes- like those in the 750-1000w range- can be constituted as motorized vehicles because they're powerful enough to be ridden in most streets; and those may require special licensing. But depending on where you are (like camping, for example) those requirements may not apply.
So to be safe, always check and adhere to your local electric bike laws. Pay special attention to motor size restrictions, license/registration requirements, and safety guidelines in your area.
And if you're unsure of where to look, contact your local DMV and ask about the rules regarding moto assisted bicycles, particularly those assisted with electric motors.
Q: How fast do electric bikes go?
A: Depending on the size of the motor, ebikes can travel anywhere between 10-30 MPH. And while carrying loads and road conditions will play a factor into your top speed, here are the average speed for electric bike motors:
- 250w ebikes can hit speeds of 5-10 MPH
- 500w ebikes can reach speeds of 10-15 MPH
- 750w ebike can go from 15-20 MPH
- 1000w electric bikes can reach 20-30 MPH
Q: How long can you ride an ebike before charging?
A: On average, most ebikes have a range of 15-30 miles. Those that utilize a pedal assist (pedelic) find that their range increase at least 20-40 miles per charge.
Now, depending on how much work you're asking your motor to do, that range will go down. Factors that can lower your range include...
- Riding on rough terrain
- Riding up hills and inclines
- In the case of hub motors, starting and stopping the throttle
- Pulling loads and carrying weight
A battery with more amps than the stock model will store more energy for longer ranges. However, if you're unable to upgrade your battery, the best thing to increase your longevity is to rely on your pedal assist more than the throttle.
Q: Are there upgrades for electric bikes?
A: The great thing to remember about electric bikes is that they're bicycles. As such, there are plenty of upgrades you can make to an electric bike:
- Batteries are the first thing most ebike riders choose to upgrade to extend the range of their rides.
- You can also upgrade your forks to ensure you have the suspension and control you're looking for.
- For more comfort, you can always upgrade the saddle (we know how uncomfortable stock seats can be).
- Swapping out your stock wheels can give your electric bike better performance and a bit of style, too.
- Note: Most hub drive ebikes have only one free wheel to exchange. If you want to switch out both wheels, you'll want a mid drive ebike.
Q: Can you pedal an electric bike?
A: You absolutely can! In fact, when ebikes utilize pedelic pedal assist systems the motor is only engaged while you're pedaling. In these instances, pedaling is actually encouraged.
If, however, the electric bike's motor is direct drive, there will be some drag while pedaling. Moreover, if the ebike's hub motor is large (like 1000w's), it'll add weight to the front or rear of your bike. So these types of ebikes will have a slight bit of resistance to them when pedaling.
But if the ebike you have your eye on has a mid drive motor or it's a hub drive with geared construction, you should have little to no resistance while pedaling. That makes the transition from pedals to throttle seamless and effortless.
Q: How much should I spend on an electric bike?
A: The great thing about electric bikes these days is that a quality bike can be found between $700 and $2000 at the most. All of the bikes on our list come with every safety feature, power advantage, and upgrade you need to enjoy any road, including:
- High quality electric motor
- Disc brakes
- Pedelic pedal assist
- LCD speedometers
So if you're spending more than $2000 for an ebike, it better at least have these features. And if you're spending less than $700 on an electric bike be extra sure that the components that come with it are quality.
Q: Do ebikes come with a warranty?
A: Each electric bicycle we offer at BikeBerry comes with a minimum 1 year warranty from the manufacturer. In the event an unplanned mishap occurs from manufacture defect, we'll be here to get it quickly taken care of. We're just a phone call, text, or email away from getting you up and running ASAP.
Editor’s note: This article was originally published in March 2020. It has been updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness as of August 2021.